East China Sea coast guard standoff near disputed islands escalates
Tensions in the East China Sea coast guard standoff rose sharply after a new confrontation near the disputed Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands. Japan says that early on Tuesday two China Coast Guard ships entered its territorial waters and closed in on a Japanese fishing boat. A Japan Coast Guard cutter intervened, escorted the vessel, and ordered the Chinese ships to leave, calling the move a breach of international law at a time when ties between Tokyo and Beijing are already strained by recent comments on Taiwan.
Conflicting claims surrounding the incident
China presented a competing account, arguing the Japanese fishing vessel had “illegally entered China’s territorial waters” around the Diaoyu Islands. Spokesman Liu Dejun said China Coast Guard cutters took “necessary control measures” and warned the boat away while conducting “rights protection and law enforcement activities.” Beijing maintains the islands and surrounding waters form part of its sovereign territory and has vowed to continue patrols despite Tokyo’s protests.
Diplomatic fallout extends beyond maritime patrols
The incident follows a similar encounter on 16 November, shortly after Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi suggested Japan could intervene militarily if China attacked self-ruled Taiwan. Since then, Beijing has urged citizens to avoid travel to Japan, cultural events have been cancelled, and a reported ban on Japanese seafood imports renewed. While China has avoided harsher economic steps such as limiting rare earth exports, the recurring East China Sea coast guard standoff underscores the risk of miscalculation in a sensitive maritime corridor.






